FE and Copy/Paste crash

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
zzd10h

Re: FE and Copy/Paste crash

Post by zzd10h »

Bug still present in FE update 1 with MUNGE activated.
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

There has been a lot of discussion about this bug and its manifestations over the years. Please repeat the steps you took to retest and reproduce it, so that I can do the same here.

I haven't seen this bug appear for a long time now. Yes, I have MUNGE enabled on every machine except the X5000 and A1222.
cheers
tony
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

tonyw wrote:There has been a lot of discussion about this bug and its manifestations over the years. Please repeat the steps you took to retest and reproduce it, so that I can do the same here.

I haven't seen this bug appear for a long time now. Yes, I have MUNGE enabled on every machine except the X5000 and A1222.
Here are my steps to reproduce:

Please take into account that it doesn't crash for me but simply produces broken output in Snoopy and doesn't paste anything to destination

I'm trying to c&p a file from Storage: to RAM: with help of the ContextMenus commodity

1) Browse to the file you wish to copy
2) Right click to bring up the ContextMenu and choose "Copy"
--> See that Context Menus is working correctly by finding a file called "ContextMenu Clipboard1" in RAM:T which holds the file's path that is going to be copied
3) Browse to RAM:
4) Right click and choose "Paste"

For me, nothing gets copied to RAM:, but Snoopy shows some weird stuff, which seems to look exactly like zzd10h's crash window output:

Code: Select all

25191 : ContextMenus    : o.k. = Lock("System:Utilities/Commodities",SHARED) [29uS]
25192 : ContextMenus    : o.k. = Lock("System:Utilities/Commodities",SHARED) [11uS]
25193 : ContextMenus    : o.k. = [exec] FindPort("WORKBENCH") [1uS]
25194 : ContextMenus    : o.k. = Lock("System:Utilities/Commodities",SHARED) [12uS]
25195 : ContextMenus    : o.k. = Lock("T:ContextMenus Clipboard1",SHARED) [27uS]
25196 : ContextMenus    : o.k. = [exec] OpenDevice("input.device",0,0x4E717690,0x00000000) = 0 [10uS]
25197 : ContextMenus    : o.k. = [exec] OpenLibrary("iffparse.library",50) [6uS]
25198 : ContextMenus    : o.k. = Open("ENV:sys/PopupMenu.prefs",OLD) = [0x13D9B7C8] [52uS]

26667 : ContextMenus Command Dispatcher : o.k. = CreateNewProc("ContextMenus Paste Task") [403uS]

29117 : ContextMenus Paste Task : 0    = FindSegmentStackSize("<untracked>") [6uS]
29118 : ContextMenus Paste Task : o.k. = Lock("System:Utilities/Commodities",SHARED) [32uS]
29119 : ContextMenus Paste Task : o.k. = Open("T:ContextMenus Clipboard1",OLD) = [0x13D9BCD8] [45uS]
29120 : ContextMenus Paste Task : o.k. = Lock("Storage:X1000",SHARED) [20uS]
29121 : ContextMenus Paste Task : FAIL = Lock("Þ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­
29122 : ContextMenus Paste Task : o.k. = Lock("Storage:X1000",SHARED) [13uS]
29123 : ContextMenus Paste Task : FAIL = Lock("Þ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­ŸïÞ­
29124 : ContextMenus Paste Task : o.k. = DupLock("Storage:X1000") [5uS]
29125 : ContextMenus Paste Task : FAIL = DupLock("<ZERO>") [1uS]
edit: gathered some more snoopy ContextMenu specific stuff out of the mess of timer.device spam
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

You will notice that the "weird stuff" is a repeated pattern of 4 characters, usually the ASCII equivalents of "DEADBEEF" or "ABADCAFE" or one of those kernel indicators (depends on the machine).
It results from a wild pointer to the "name" being passed or corrupted somewhere. We've had this problem on and off for years. It seems to be fixed, then reoccurs somewhere. I suspect that it really has been fixed, but the actual component has not been updated to the new version.

I can't get it to happen on my X5000 with its clean Update 1 installation, but it happens on the Sam 460 with Update 1.

I'll try to find out what is different.

BTW, I forgot to say "Thank you" for the precise instructions !

I have raised bug #9797 for this problem. It may not be the fault of ContextMenus, but it's a place to start.
cheers
tony
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

tonyw wrote:You will notice that the "weird stuff" is a repeated pattern of 4 characters, usually the ASCII equivalents of "DEADBEEF" or "ABADCAFE" or one of those kernel indicators (depends on the machine).
It results from a wild pointer to the "name" being passed or corrupted somewhere. We've had this problem on and off for years. It seems to be fixed, then reoccurs somewhere. I suspect that it really has been fixed, but the actual component has not been updated to the new version.

I can't get it to happen on my X5000 with its clean Update 1 installation, but it happens on the Sam 460 with Update 1.

I'll try to find out what is different.

BTW, I forgot to say "Thank you" for the precise instructions !

I have raised bug #9797 for this problem. It may not be the fault of ContextMenus, but it's a place to start.
Ohhh, you are very welcome, trying the best to help being not a betatester :-)
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

@TonyW
"I have raised bug #9797 for this problem. "

Many thanks, hoping that AmiUpdate will work better with Update 1 :D
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE