Timer device 'opening flood' bug in OS4.1FE update1

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
xenic

Timer device 'opening flood' bug in OS4.1FE update1

Post by xenic »

If you have certain dockies installed and active in AmiDock (like X1kTemp or clock docky), opening Snoopy with the "OpenDevice()" menu activated shows a continuous flood of timer openings in Snoopy. This occurs on an X1000 with OS4.1FEupdate1 installed. Steps to reproduce:

1. If the X1kTemp docky is not installed in AmiDock, install it and reboot.
2. Open Snoopy and make sure the "Exec Functions/OpenDevice()" menu item is activated (checkmarked).
3. Thousands of time device openings will stream by in the Snoopy window.

Since this problem didn't exist before updating to OS4.1FEupdate1 and neither AmiDock or X1kTemp have been changed, the problem is likely due to changed files in OS4.1FEupdate1. I went to the trouble of replacing update1 files one at a time with previous files (OS4.1FE user release) and tracked the cause down to the new graphics.library. As unlikely as it sounds, if you revert the graphics.library in OS4.1FEupdate1 to a previous version and don't change anything else in the OS4.1FEupdate1 installation the 'timer opening flood' does not occur.

Either changes in graphics.library have exposed a bug in other software or there is a bug in graphics.library.
Can a beta tester confirm this problem an file an official report?
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Timer device 'opening flood' bug in OS4.1FE update1

Post by tonyw »

Just to save time, can you quote the versions of gfx lib that do and don't have the problem?
cheers
tony
xenic

Post by xenic »

tonyw wrote:Just to save time, can you quote the versions of gfx lib that do and don't have the problem?
graphics.library 54.156 (10/19/2014) (in OS4.1FE release) DOES NOT have the problem.

graphics.library 54.226 (09/13/2016) (in OS4.1FE update1 release) DOES have the problem.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

This bug has been raised already, but I've bumped it a bit (BZ #9579).

[The problem actually started with version 54.222 (not released outide beta testers)]
cheers
tony
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

"1. If the X1kTemp docky is not installed in AmiDock, install it and reboot."

I removed x1ktemp.docky but problem still occurs as soon as I right click on AmiDock.

61779 : AmiDock : o.k. = [exec] OpenDevice("input.device",0,0x4F4CF360,0x00000000) = 0 [10uS]
61780 : AmiDock : o.k. = [exec] OpenLibrary("iffparse.library",50) [6uS]
61781 : AmiDock : o.k. = Open("ENV:sys/PopupMenu.prefs",OLD) = [0x15437088] [74uS]
61782 : AmiDock : o.k. = [exec] OpenDevice("timer.device",0,0x4F4CF390,0x00000000) = 0 [8uS]
61783 : AmiDock : o.k. = [exec] OpenDevice("timer.device",0,0x4F4CF3C0,0x00000000) = 0 [8uS]
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

I let snoopy run to cover another bug in another program and i can confirm that this timer.device spamming seems to come from another os part, as i'm getting the spam from AmiDock, CANDI and literally any program that is performing some tasks, e.g. ContextMenus.
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Never mind, I've fixed it now (in graphics.lib).
cheers
tony
colinw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by colinw »

Raziel wrote:I let snoopy run to cover another bug in another program and ...
Snoopy is a debugging tool, it only works as such.

It adds overhead to every DOS call, (and some of the others), by patching each function with
a small stub, it does not provide or perform any workaround that make application bugs go away.
if anything, it will actually slow down the machine to some degree and likely increase the stack usage.

So, what is the application that has problems, what are the problems and how does running Snoopy
seem to provide some sort of bug fix or workaround. ?
I ask this because it should NOT have any affects like this and if it does, you likely have other problems.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

@colinw

I'm sorry, you misunderstood (probably because i used the wrong wording)

I meant i started snoopy to grab some output for another bug (which doesn't crash for me like it does for others, but which whows the exact same output, only in snoopy) and while snoopy ran it displayed the timer.device calls all over the place for all kinds of programs (which wasn't the case before update 1)

I only run debugging tools if i have to

Thank you for your comment though, shows that you care :-)
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
xenic

Post by xenic »

Raziel wrote:I let snoopy run to cover another bug in another program and i can confirm that this timer.device spamming seems to come from another os part, as i'm getting the spam from AmiDock, CANDI and literally any program that is performing some tasks, e.g. ContextMenus.
The timer.device issue you see in the programs you mentioned are the symptom of a problem in graphics.library which tonyw says he has fixed. I'm just hoping we get the fix (and fixes for other minor update1 problems) in AmiUpdate instead of waiting another 2 years for update2.