Soft reboot hangs on FE upd 1

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Srtest

Re: Soft reboot hangs on FE upd 1

Post by Srtest »

Read this thread. Updated the hidden ffs partition (BDH0) with the newer bootloader (which was from 2010) and now I don't have mouse + keyboard when getting the desktop. I'm using a generic keyboard I got with the X1000 and an older very common Logitech wireless.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Let me say it again:

All that Amigaboot does is to read your Kicklayout file, load all the components listed and then jump to the Loader. Neither Amigaboot nor the Loader can have any influence on how the system runs (or doesn't). That is defined by the contents of your Kicklayout and whatever system partition is used as SYS: after that. Remember that although the Kickstart modules are loaded from the partition you choose, the system partition that provides libraries, commands and everything else is the partition with the highest "boot priority". It might not even be listed in the list of bootable devices.

If you want to ensure that you boot the system from the same partition that Kickstart was loaded from, set the variable "os4_bootdevice=auto" in CFE.
cheers
tony
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

tonyw wrote:Let me say it again:

All that Amigaboot does is to read your Kicklayout file, load all the components listed and then jump to the Loader. Neither Amigaboot nor the Loader can have any influence on how the system runs (or doesn't). That is defined by the contents of your Kicklayout and whatever system partition is used as SYS: after that. Remember that although the Kickstart modules are loaded from the partition you choose, the system partition that provides libraries, commands and everything else is the partition with the highest "boot priority". It might not even be listed in the list of bootable devices.

If you want to ensure that you boot the system from the same partition that Kickstart was loaded from, set the variable "os4_bootdevice=auto" in CFE.
Can i ask a question that is bugging me for a while now?

Why was this "hidden" partition created/installed in the first place?
Was it as a case of "hide it from unexperienced users so that the system at least boots into workbench no matter what they'll do"?
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

Raziel wrote:
tonyw wrote:Let me say it again:

Can i ask a question that is bugging me for a while now?

Why was this "hidden" partition created/installed in the first place?
Was it as a case of "hide it from unexperienced users so that the system at least boots into workbench no matter what they'll do"?

Wasn't it because CFE can't see or boot (IIRC) from anything but FAT and FFS? So if a user choose sfs for the system partition it would not have been possible to boot.
Of course you can put amigaboot.of on the CF-Card. But then not every X1000 was delivered with a CF-Card, mine wasn't.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Amigo, I think you are right.

Using the small FFS boot partition for amigaboot.of meant that the user could use any file system (s)he wanted (except JXFS, which was not bootable). I think a Linux dual-boot system came into it somewhere too.

If you have an FFS boot partition, then you can just have amigaboot in the root of that partition and not need the abstraction of the small boot partition.
cheers
tony
xenic

Post by xenic »

tonyw wrote:Amigo, I think you are right.

Using the small FFS boot partition for amigaboot.of meant that the user could use any file system (s)he wanted (except JXFS, which was not bootable). I think a Linux dual-boot system came into it somewhere too.

If you have an FFS boot partition, then you can just have amigaboot in the root of that partition and not need the abstraction of the small boot partition.
I think you're missing an important point here. I've never changed anything in my early boot commands and nvgetvar shows this line:

MENU_0_COMMAND=setenv amigaboot_quiet Y ;boot -fs=amigafs ide0.0:amigaboot.of

I assume that's the default setting that came with all X1000 systems. That means that installing a new amigaboot.of on the boot partition is USELESS because the system will still load amigaboot.of from the unmounted BDH0: partition. Most users who install OS4.1FEupdate1 are probably still booting from the old amigaboot.of on the BDH0: partition.

I don't think anyone has mentioned it but it's simple to open SYS:System/Mounter, mount BDH0:, backup the old amigaboot.of file and copy the new amigaboot.of file to BDH0:.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

@xenic

Thats what i had and did...was using 52.4 from 2010 (which seems to be the very first from the very first AmigaOS4.1 install cd) :-)
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

@xenic
[
I think you're missing an important point here. I've never changed anything in my early boot commands and nvgetvar shows this line:

MENU_0_COMMAND=setenv amigaboot_quiet Y ;boot -fs=amigafs ide0.0:amigaboot.of

I assume that's the default setting that came with all X1000 systems. That means that installing a new amigaboot.of on the boot partition is USELESS because the system will still load amigaboot.of from the unmounted BDH0: partition. Most users who install OS4.1FEupdate1 are probably still booting from the old amigaboot.of on the BDH0: partition.
Yes, you do have to copy that file over by hand if you are not using a FFS SYS: (Which most people atren't)
I don't think anyone has mentioned it but it's simple to open SYS:System/Mounter, mount BDH0:, backup the old amigaboot.of file and copy the new amigaboot.of file to BDH0:.
It's a heck of a lot easier to make BDH0: mountable in Media Prefs and then hide it on the workbench.

If that's not standard then maybe I set it that way to enable realativly frequent beta updates of the amigaboot.of
xenic

Post by xenic »

broadblues wrote: It's a heck of a lot easier to make BDH0: mountable in Media Prefs and then hide it on the workbench.

If that's not standard then maybe I set it that way to enable realativly frequent beta updates of the amigaboot.of
Having amigaboot.of on an unmounted partition reduces the chance of accidental deletion; which might leave a system unbootable if the user has SFS installed on all other partitions. If you have family that has access to your X1000 it might be best to leave BDH0: unmounted. Personally, I have hidden partitions (unmounted) anyway and use mounter to access them if I need to.
xenic

Post by xenic »

broadblues wrote:Yes, you do have to copy that file over by hand if you are not using a FFS SYS: (Which most people atren't)
I'm not sure you got my point. If you have the default setting in your boot command like "boot -fs=amigafs ide0.0:amigaboot.of" then your system will still boot from the old amigaboot.of in BDH0: even if you have the update1 amigaboot.of installed on an FFS boot partition. Unless you have changed "ide0.0" to " ide0.1" in your boot command like MichaelMerkel suggested, then having a new amigaboot.of on an FFS Amiga boot partition will do nothing and you need to copy it to BDH0: for it to be used.