Soft reboot hangs on FE upd 1

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Soft reboot hangs on FE upd 1

Post by sundown »

xenic wrote:
nbache wrote:Wouldn't work here - mine's called BOOT:

xenic wrote:
I think all the complete X1000 systems sold by AmigaKit had the BDH0: partition. I think it's a case where the installation and naming of the small FFS partition should have been standard; with the possible exception of beta testers who have special debugging needs etc. It's too late for that now and you are probably right; inform the user in the installer, readme file and changelog.

I just read a report in the X1000 forum that holding both mouse buttons down during a reboot no longer brings up the early startup window/menu. I never noticed the problem because I hadn't copied the amigaboot.of file from my System partition (where update1 installed it) to the BDH0: partition (small FFS partition you labeled BOOT). When I copied amigaboot.of to my BDH0: partition, I now have the same problem; pressing and holding both mouse buttons during a reboot no longer brings up the early boot window. Thankfully, the keyboard "Scroll Lock" key still works.

After waiting 2 years for an update/bugfix, it's hard to believe that no beta testers ever tried to access the early boot window by holding down both mouse buttons. Is it possible that beta testers added amigaboot.of to their system partitions but were actually booting with the old amigaboot.of on a BDH0: or BOOT: partition?
The problem with getting into the early boot window with the mouse has been noted & reported, use the Scroll Lock key instead. If the mouse method is your life then go back to Kickstart:bootmenu.kmod used in FE. I don't think beta testers get the urge to test that feature with the mouse with every beta update.

In regards to amigaboot.of, I believe a save path requester came up, defaulting to SYS:, I changed it to BH0: & it got copied there.

Every time I've booted to a black screen is if I change a volume/dir name thats been set in user-startup, It can open a shell window in the background to tell, but first line of defense is a bootable backup to get back up & fix the problem.

The other problem can be a usb stick connected, I've noticed that my x1k will load ks & then try to load WB off the usb stick, giving me a black screen.
Last edited by sundown on Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
blmara

Post by blmara »

Petrol wrote:Did you have any extra usb device connected during your soft reboot (other than keyboard and mouse)?

Regards,
No, just the keyboard and mouse.

Marko
Marko
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

sundown wrote:
xenic wrote:
nbache wrote:Wouldn't work here - mine's called BOOT:
I think all the complete X1000 systems sold by AmigaKit had the BDH0: partition.
[...]
Sundown, could you please fix your quoting? I only wrote the first line, not the next long block including the following:
Is it possible that beta testers added amigaboot.of to their system partitions but were actually booting with the old amigaboot.of on a BDH0: or BOOT: partition?
I obviously can't speak for all beta testers, but I have definitely been testing every GD version of amigaboot.of copied to the correct small partition (in my case BOOT:).

But as sundown also notes, the focus has probably not been on the ESM; personally, I can't remember when I last saw one or needed to see one, at least on NG machines. Booting without S-S or WB-Startup or similar stunts are much easier to do holding the appropriate keys (if in doubt, consult you friendly WB guide with the big lightbulb icon in AmiDock). And selecting which partition to boot is done by means of the BootDevice mechanism in conjunction with the CFE/UBoot menus. But yes, of course it should still work; I'll definitely focus more on it next time.

Best regards,

Niels
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by sundown »

nbache
Sorry, quote fixed. All I did was hit the quote button to post, never notices how that turned out before sending.
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
xenic

Post by xenic »

sundown wrote: The problem with getting into the early boot window with the mouse has been noted & reported, use the Scroll Lock key instead. If the mouse method is your life then go back to Kickstart:bootmenu.kmod used in FE. I don't think beta testers get the urge to test that feature with the mouse with every beta update.
I've reverted boomenu.kmod; old habits are hard to break (getting early boot window with mouse).
The other problem can be a usb stick connected, I've noticed that my x1k will load ks & then try to load WB off the usb stick, giving me a black screen.
I had that problem a long time ago because my printer has a USB port with a usb stick plugged into it and the system would try to load off the usb stick if I cold booted with the printer turned on. Someone pointed out that the solution is to comment out the "MODULE L/CrossDOSFileSystem" line in Kicklayout. If intentionally want to cold boot from USB, you would need to uncomment that line.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
xenic

Post by xenic »

blmara wrote: No, just the keyboard and mouse.
Marko
Maybe I've lost track because of all the OT stuff but did you try cold booting from your OS4.1FE CD to see if a soft reboot still works without update1.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

sundown wrote:nbache
Sorry, quote fixed. All I did was hit the quote button to post, never notices how that turned out before sending.
Thanks.

Hmm, that's strange, using the quote button should have worked. I do that all the time and never saw something like that.

Edit: Just tried it myself on the post from Raziel which you quoted. It starts out okay, but I think you must have deleted the end-quote marker after my name together with the last lines of my post.

Anyway, it's fixed now, so NP :-)

Best regards,

Niels
prowler

Post by prowler »

I have the same problem with my X1000. If I give it the three finger salute or use the reboot command it gets stuck on a black screen. This is with a fresh install of AmigaOS4FE Update 1. As suggested in this thread, I will try the AmigaOS4FE CD soft reboot test a go and see if that works or not.