Computer died

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
kilaueabart

Computer died

Post by kilaueabart »

Early in December I was reading email in YAM when two gurus popped up in immediate succession. The second was just a PSI error, but it covered the first and was not (re)movable, so I will never know what it was.

Attempts to boot the machine over the next couple of days brought up the splash screen it always starts with, but twenty minutes later that would be still all I had. I removed the sides of the case to see if there were any visual clues to the problem. Since then, no splash screen. I haven't tried putting the sides back on. I can't imagine they have anything to do with the matter.

I started a ticket at Amigakit, and was asked for any serial output produced by trying to boot. I finally put together a cable (null modem and USB to RS232 DB9 Serial Adapter Cable) and connected it to the tablet running USB-Serial terminal. No luck. Surely I don't need an RS232 to USB cable instead of the one I got, but that cable could be the problem. I'm supposed to download a Windows or Mac driver for it. Maybe I'll have to make my own following instrtuctions in the Kargin and Hazlewood Advanced Serial Debugging Guide. Or try to find a cheap Windows laptop.

Meanwhile I thought I'd drop in at these forums for the first time in a month (my passwords are all locked up like the rest of my life on a hard drive in a broken computer. I had to get a new one to get in from my tablet) and see if anyone has suggestions.
Petrol
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Computer died

Post by Petrol »

Hello,

You'll find some similar threads here too.
I experienced some similar problem when I changed my graphic card. It is a large one, that realy fit tighted in the case.
I first thought that the machines gave up. I was really frustated. I also remarked that the on-board red leds was not as before.
Only two leds were on instead of three before I changed the board.
I had to verify all the connexions. The sata are close to my graphic board and they have moved when I installed it I think! They are really "weaky". After that, my X1000 has booted up again. The red leds was on as before. I concluded that the sata were in cause in my situation.
I hope you'll solve this issue with Amigakit, and you'll get your machine up and running soon. Good luck!

Regards,
Xavier.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

I agree with Xavier, I think that SATA cables are the most likely problem. Bloody horrible things.
Second thing to do is check or replace the battery.

After that, you'll have to capture some output from the serial port.
cheers
tony
xenic

Post by xenic »

tonyw wrote:I agree with Xavier, I think that SATA cables are the most likely problem. Bloody horrible things.
Every time I take my SAM with me in the car, I have to reseat the SATA cables before booting. Horrible indeed.
I had to replace my X1000 battery after 3 years. First clue was that the system time was always wrong.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Petrol wrote: I experienced some similar problem when I changed my graphic card. It is a large one, that realy fit tighted in the case.
I first thought that the machines gave up. I was really frustated. I also remarked that the on-board red leds was not as before.
Only two leds were on instead of three before I changed the board.
I hadn't so much as opened the case for weeks, but it will certainly be worth messing with the cables. I suppose a connection could go bad out of the blue.

My LEDs are OK. The 3rd, 4th and 5th are lit when it is on. If I press and hold the reset button 4 and 5 go dark and 2 comes on until I let loose. I also get a green flash or two from the thing labeled INTERNET in the diagram at the end of the Reference Manual.

Thanks for the support.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

tonyw wrote:I agree with Xavier, I think that SATA cables are the most likely problem. Bloody horrible things.

I wondered about the battery but hadn't had any hints that it was in trouble, such as clock going slow. But now I think about it, the fact that the clock is checked every time I boot might have evaded that clue. I'll check the battery even before I work on the cables.

I don’t know why I don't get any serial output yet.
xenic

Post by xenic »

kilaueabart wrote:

I wondered about the battery but hadn't had any hints that it was in trouble, such as clock going slow. But now I think about it, the fact that the clock is checked every time I boot might have evaded that clue. I'll check the battery even before I work on the cables.

I don’t know why I don't get any serial output yet.
If you are going to change the battery, I'd print all the CFE settings first; just in case. I had to change my battery (3 years after puchase) and did it as fast as possible so I wouldn't loose any settings. I didn't lose anything.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

xenic wrote: If you are going to change the battery, I'd print all the CFE settings first; just in case. I had to change my battery (3 years after puchase) and did it as fast as possible so I wouldn't loose any settings. I didn't lose anything.
I don't know how to print the CFE settings without turning my computer on, which I cannot do. Sounds impossible to print them. Please tell me I am wrong.

Although it seemed unlikely to me that a battery could go bad as suddenly as my computer problem died, it occurred to me that perhaps some of the error messages I had been getting both in OS4 and Ubuntu might have been early signs. I removed the battery and tested it. Instead of 3v, it was 2v!

I rushed to the store where I usually buy batteries and was informed that no CVS store on O`ahu had them in stock. Nor could I find a local store that had any by searching on line. Aha! my Prius key fob had the necessary 2032, although not lithium. Hopefully I installed it and turned on the computer. Nothing.

Could it be because I lost my CFE settings, and if so, is there anything I can do about it?
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Losing the CFE vars won't stop the computer from going through its POST process. You should get some serial output no matter what, even with no 3V cell at all.

If you get no serial output at all, then possibly you have a power supply problem or a bad PS connection.

Are you sure you can't get a CR 2032 cell? They are the most common of all and used in every PC that has ever been made. Here in Oz they are sold in every supermarket and chemist/pharmacy/drugstore (about $3 each).

Once you get it going again, you should be able to use the backup memory to load the vars, then save them to the "normal" memory. It's all documented in the User's manual IIRC.
cheers
tony
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

tonyw wrote:Losing the CFE vars won't stop the computer from going through its POST process. You should get some serial output no matter what, even with no 3V cell at all.
I am very relieved to read that.
If you get no serial output at all, then possibly you have a power supply problem or a bad PS connection.
I think the problem is that I haven't yet been able to get my Samsung Galaxy tablet set up to receive the input. I bought a null modem cable and an OTG adaptor and installed a serial terminal. But I'm not sure the OTG thing really works. It doesn't let me read a flash drive as I believe it should. I may end up having to buy a second-hand Windows machine. Meanwhile I have ordered something that Samsung says will act as a real USB port on my tablet.
Are you sure you can't get a CR 2032 cell? They are the most common of all and used in every PC that has ever been made. Here in Oz they are sold in every supermarket and chemist/pharmacy/drugstore (about $3 each).
I always get them at CVS drugs ("Longs" in Hawai`i), where the tag reads $1.99, but the clerk said their supplier is out of them. No telling how much driving around I might need to do, to find one elsewhere. But it seems to me the one I took out of my key fob should work even if it's not lithium. I've got some lithium ones coming in the mail, so I'll be able to return the one I took out of my spare key fob.
Once you get it going again, you should be able to use the backup memory to load the vars, then save them to the "normal" memory. It's all documented in the User's manual IIRC.
Again, relieved to read. I hope you are right.