recommissioning SAM460

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
kilaueabart

Re: recommissioning SAM460

Post by kilaueabart »

Raziel wrote: Mind you i don't have your SATA cards and i'm on an X1000, but it might give you the idea.
Also i'm quite puzzled as you talk about UBoot and CFE...i thought those were different things and i'm not really sure anymore what is used on a SAM...
Yes, thank you! I´m pretty sure a version of this is what I need:

Code: Select all

MENU_1_COMMAND=setenv amigaboot_quiet Y ; boot -fs=iso atapi0.1:amigaboot.of
I´ve typed the likes of that enough over the years that it should be automatic, but my memory seems to be going a little faster than that of most people 81 years old.

I´m on my new Raspberry-Pi right now, but will try the above as soon as I get through experimenting with this. I wonder if there is really an amigaboot.of on the DVD.
javierdlr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by javierdlr »

Hi, here are my UBoot ennvars on my SAM460ex, if it helps somehow:

#c:NVGetVar
baudrate=115200
loads_echo=1
hostname=Sam460ex
stdout=vga
stdin=usbkbd
ide_doreset=on
ide_cd_timeout=20
pcie_mode=RP:RP
pciconfighost=1
bootcmd=menu; run menuboot_cmd
menucmd=menu
boot_method=boota
usb_enable_4x0=1
usb_retry=1
scan_usb_storage=1
ethact=ppc_4xx_eth0
ethaddr=00:50:c2:80:d5:90
ide_reset_timeout=2
s4sii_maxbus=1
filesize=2A3B
fileaddr=2000000
ver=U-Boot 2015.a (May 16 2015 - 14:20:11)
video_activate=pci
hush=0
x86emu=1
serdes=pci-e
ddr2_boost=0
ipaddr=192.168.1.201
serverip=192.168.1.200
boot1=s4siicdrom
boot2=s4sii
boota_timeout=3
menuboot_delay=2
os4_commandline=debuglevel=4 MUNGE SERIAL
bootargs=root=/dev/ramdisk file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu-mate.seed boot=casper rootdelay=10
menuboot_cmd=boota

Maybe some of them aren't usefull anymore. I have a DVDRW and a SSD plugged in a sII3114 PCI card.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

javierdlr wrote:Hi, here are my UBoot ennvars on my SAM460ex, if it helps somehow:
Terrific! This is just the sort of information I need. I am very grateful.

I have compared your env with what printenv brings up on my SAM. I have deleted from your list below all that are identical in mine.

scan_usb_storage=1 I have 0 rather than 1. What does it mean?
ethaddr=00:50:c2:80:d5:90 I have D4:B9. I imagine this isn't something I should change.
ide_reset_timeout=2 My timeout is 20. No big deal, surely.
filesize=2A3B I have neither filesize nor the following fileaddr. Possibly important.
fileaddr=2000000
ver=U-Boot 2015.a (May 16 2015 - 14:20:11) My U-Boot gets listed as 2010.06.05 (Apr 14 2011 ...)
x86emu=1 Missing in my env
ddr2_boost=0 Missing in my env
ipaddr=192.168.1.201 These two ip addresses
serverip=192.168.1.200 are different after the 168. Another thing I don't understand the possible significance of.
boot1=s4siicdrom I didn't have the "cdrom" part but have added it.
os4_commandline=debuglevel=4 MUNGE SERIAL Mine has "debuglevel=0," period.
I just googled the "munge" part of this, which I don't have, and am informed that for the SAM I need to set debuglevel to 7.
bootargs=root=/dev/ramdisk file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu-mate.seed boot=casper rootdelay=10
This one is surely key, and not having a MATE CD it makes no sense to copy yours. My "root=/dev/sda1" is obviously wrong, but I'm not sure what I should change it to.

I copied the boot serial to my Raspberry pi3 and include it below in case it might mean anything to you or anyone else curious enough to read this post:

CPU: AMCC PowerPC 460EX Rev. B at 1150 MHz (PLB=287 OPB=143 EBC=143)
No Security/Kasumi support
Bootstrap Option H - Boot ROM Location I2C (Addr 0x52)
Internal PCI arbiter enabled
32 kB I-Cache 32 kB D-Cache
Board: Sam460ex, PCIe 4x + PCIe 1x
I2C: ready
DRAM: 2 GiB (ECC not enabled, 575 MHz, CL5)
PCI: Bus Dev VenId DevId Class Int
00 04 1095 3114 0104 00
00 06 126f 0501 0380 00
PCIE0: link is not up.
PCIE1: successfully set as root-complex
02 00 1002 9498 0300 ff
Net: ppc_4xx_eth0
FPGA: Revision 03 (2010-10-07)
SM502: found
VGA: 1
VESA: OK
javierdlr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by javierdlr »

kilaueabart wrote:
javierdlr wrote:Hi, here are my UBoot ennvars on my SAM460ex, if it helps somehow:
Terrific! This is just the sort of information I need. I am very grateful.

I have compared your env with what printenv brings up on my SAM. I have deleted from your list below all that are identical in mine.
scan_usb_storage=1 I have 0 rather than 1. What does it mean?
-Can't remember, maybe something to do with external USB devices (0 means don't scan)

ethaddr=00:50:c2:80:d5:90 I have D4:B9. I imagine this isn't something I should change.
-Thats mi MAC address :-)

ide_reset_timeout=2 My timeout is 20. No big deal, surely.
-To "shorten" delay time. As you say no big deal.

filesize=2A3B I have neither filesize nor the following fileaddr. Possibly important.
fileaddr=2000000
-Seems somthing with NET, maybe used by TFTPBOOT

ver=U-Boot 2015.a (May 16 2015 - 14:20:11) My U-Boot gets listed as 2010.06.05 (Apr 14 2011 ...)
-As I have/use latest UBoot from Acube (http://www.acube-systems.biz/index.php?page=news&id=134).

x86emu=1 Missing in my env
ddr2_boost=0 Missing in my env
-Both are from latest Uboot, so you shouldn't have'em.

ipaddr=192.168.1.201 These two ip addresses
serverip=192.168.1.200 are different after the 168. Another thing I don't understand the possible significance of.
-For TFTPBOOT they are to suit my TFTPserver on a Windows/Linux machine.

boot1=s4siicdrom I didn't have the "cdrom" part but have added it.
-This is autosetted, when on UBoot menu/prefs you select 1st/2nd/.. boot devices (IIRC 's4sii' is for hdd and 's4siicdrom' is for dvd/cd).

os4_commandline=debuglevel=4 MUNGE SERIAL Mine has "debuglevel=0," period.
-If you don't use serial debug not needed.
I just googled the "munge" part of this, which I don't have, and am informed that for the SAM I need to set debuglevel to 7.

This one is surely key, and not having a MATE CD it makes no sense to copy yours. My "root=/dev/sda1" is obviously wrong, but I'm not sure what I should change it to.
-Yep that one is for installing/testing linux distros done by Spectre660
I copied the boot serial to my Raspberry pi3 and include it below in case it might mean anything to you or anyone else curious enough to read this post:

CPU: AMCC PowerPC 460EX Rev. B at 1150 MHz (PLB=287 OPB=143 EBC=143)
No Security/Kasumi support
Bootstrap Option H - Boot ROM Location I2C (Addr 0x52)
Internal PCI arbiter enabled
32 kB I-Cache 32 kB D-Cache
Board: Sam460ex, PCIe 4x + PCIe 1x
I2C: ready
DRAM: 2 GiB (ECC not enabled, 575 MHz, CL5)
PCI: Bus Dev VenId DevId Class Int
00 04 1095 3114 0104 00
00 06 126f 0501 0380 00
PCIE0: link is not up.
PCIE1: successfully set as root-complex
02 00 1002 9498 0300 ff
Net: ppc_4xx_eth0
FPGA: Revision 03 (2010-10-07)
SM502: found
VGA: 1
VESA: OK
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I thought maybe I could get a new boot disk for my SAM with instructions how to use it. What I ended up buying was something that came down on-line:
Sam460_updater_2015a.lha.

It says it's an LHA, but my LHA readers refuse to have anything to do with it. LibreOffice tried to look at it, perhaps fooled by the ".lha" part, but nothing of any interest. I tried looking at it with emacs on my Galaxy tab just to see what kind of stuff was really there, and here it what emacs displayed (edited)!

Code: Select all

[u]Length[/u]  [u]File[/u]
   14844    Sam460_updater_2015a\check_460_baseclock
     5729    Sam460_updater_2015a\check_460_baseclock.c
  126892    Sam460_updater_2015a\U-Boot updater guide 460 v1.2.pdf
  797860    Sam460_updater_2015a\updater50-460
1196032    Sam460_updater_2015a\updater50-460_2015a.iso
 797860    Sam460_updater_2015a\updater55-460
1196032    Sam460_updater_2015a\updater55-460_2015a.iso
So what in the world did I buy? How can I get at that PDF, if it is really there?
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

kilaueabart wrote:It says it's an LHA, but my LHA readers refuse to have anything to do with it.
Which LhA readers are you talking about?

On AmigaOS, you can e.g. use UnArc or the command-line version of LhA.
LibreOffice tried to look at it,
Forget it, LibreOffice is for documents, not for archives.
So what in the world did I buy?
IIRC, it's an update to the firmware (UBoot) in your Sam460, made a couple of years ago by ACube.
How can I get at that PDF, if it is really there?
By extracting the LhA archive with e.g. one of the above, or some equivalent archive extractor if you are on another OS. Then the PDF file should be readable.

If not, maybe you have a corrupted download.

Best regards,

Niels
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

nbache wrote:
kilaueabart wrote:It says it's an LHA, but my LHA readers refuse to have anything to do with it.
Which LhA readers are you talking about?
I can't believe my dementia has reached this level already. It wasn't until I was proofing this current post that I realized I was thinking PDF! No wonder my PDF readers (PDF Viewer, Drive PDF Viewer, and Hancom PDF Viewer on Samsung Galaxy) refuse.
On AmigaOS, you can e.g. use UnArc or the command-line version of LhA.
Indeed! If only I had access to AmigaOS, there are all kinds of things I could do. But then, I wouldn't even need this updater or whatever it takes to get the SAM up and running again.
LibreOffice tried to look at it,
Forget it, LibreOffice is for documents, not for archives.
I didn't launch LibreOffice on purpose. But when I click on the icon on this Raspberry-pi, the closest thing I have to a real computer at present, IT launches LibreOffice.
So what in the world did I buy?
IIRC, it's an update to the firmware (UBoot) in your Sam460, made a couple of years ago by ACube.
My SAM460 has no firmware. That is what I am trying to get. I moved the SAM harddrive over to the X1000, and kept no paper record of what I might have been using it for. I suspect it is one of my Ubuntu disks.
How can I get at that PDF, if it is really there?
By extracting the LhA archive with e.g. one of the above, or some equivalent archive extractor if you are on another OS. Then the PDF file should be readable.
Okay, I'll see if I can find such a thing for the rpi. It does run on some kind of Debian, I think, so it should be possible.
Thanks for setting me straight. (I shouldn't have needed it.)
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

kilaueabart wrote:My SAM460 has no firmware. That is what I am trying to get.
I'm pretty sure it does. The firmware, aka UBoot, is stored on a chip inside the computer and does not go away even if you turn off the power. It is also not dependent on any disk being present. It can only be updated by a process called flashing, which is what that updater from ACube will do, if you let it.

Personally, I'd leave that alone for now. You probably don't need to update (flash) your UBoot. Even if you want to, it is much easier once you have everything else installed and running.

What you want, I suspect, is to get AmigaOS installed on a hard disk.

You said earlier that you tried booting an old OS4 cd. Is it a version made for the Sam460? You do need the correct version of AmigaOS for your given machine type. After ensuring that, it should be a matter of setting the boot device sequence correctly; this can either be done in the UBoot menu or by setting the UBoot variables from the UBoot command prompt with "setenv <name> <value>" followed by "saveenv"; specifically, to make it boot your SATA CD/DVD drive first, you should have the variable boot1 set to indicate the type of connection it is on.

In my Sam460, I have an SiI3114 4-channel SATA card with a CD/DVD drive and a HD on the first two channels. Therefore, my boot variables are:

boot1=s4siicdrom
boot2=s4sii
boot3=usb (this one would let me boot off the built-in SD card reader, if none of the other two are available; the SD card reader is connected to the USB bus on the Sam460).

The first two are the important ones. You want the CD/DVD to have first priority, whenever a disc is in that drive, and otherwise the HD (which you would normally boot from when installed).

Depending on which type of SATA card is in your machine, the varable values would need to be set accordingly. So let us know first which model your SATA card is, and we can take it from there.

There's a pretty good description of UBoot here: http://www.intuitionbase.com/static.php?section=uboot - although it was made for the older AmigaOne XE/SE, the UBoot in the Sams is very similar.

Oh, BTW, the lines which were discussed earlier in the thread such as "MENU_1_COMMAND=setenv amigaboot_quiet Y ; boot -fs=iso atapi0.1:amigaboot.of" - forget those. They are for use on the X1000 which has CFE instead of UBoot, which is a completely different type of firmware.

Best regards,

Niels
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

nbache wrote:
kilaueabart wrote:My SAM460 has no firmware. That is what I am trying to get.
I'm pretty sure it does. The firmware, aka UBoot, is stored on a chip inside the computer and does not go away even if you turn off the power. It is also not dependent on any disk being present.
I am SO happy to hear that!
It can only be updated by a process called flashing, which is what that updater from ACube will do, if you let it.

Personally, I'd leave that alone for now. [...] What you want, I suspect, is to get AmigaOS installed on a hard disk.

You said earlier that you tried booting an old OS4 cd. Is it a version made for the Sam460?
Very likely not. I have several disks (some I burned myself from who can remember what source). None that have printed labels mention SAM460 on the outside. I just wanted to give each a try.
You do need the correct version of AmigaOS for your given machine type. After ensuring that, it should be a matter of setting the boot device sequence correctly; this can either be done in the UBoot menu or by setting the UBoot variables from the UBoot command prompt with "setenv <name> <value>" followed by "saveenv"; specifically, to make it boot your SATA CD/DVD drive first, you should have the variable boot1 set to indicate the type of connection it is on.
I'd been hoping someone would tell me how to do that!

In my Sam460, I have an SiI3114 4-channel SATA card with a CD/DVD drive and a HD on the first two channels. Therefore, my boot variables are:

boot1=s4siicdrom
I changed my boot1, previously just s4sii, to that on the basis of info received from javierdlr earlier in the thread. I don't have access to UBoot, but working on env is no problem. I probably tried one of the CDs thereafter, to no avail but I may try some of the others once the next issue seems settled.
[...]
Depending on which type of SATA card is in your machine, the varable values would need to be set accordingly. So let us know first which model your SATA card is, and we can take it from there.
I would imagine this part would still be set correctly from the days when I was using the SAM, but let me see if I can provide the info. ... Lucky I saved the instructions for my Cooler Master. I couldn't remember how to get the card out. The only obvious info on it is Model #XWT-RC040. Is that meaningful, or should I look harder?
There's a pretty good description of UBoot here: http://www.intuitionbase.com/static.php?section=uboot - although it was made for the older AmigaOne XE/SE, the UBoot in the Sams is very similar.
I'll review that shortly. I expect it to look very familiar after many years on an XE and then a SAM.

I really appreciate your coming to my aid again, Niels. You've done so more times than I can remember. By the way, after your previous suggestions I was able to extract and read the PDF I was interested in. Thank you for that too.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

kilaueabart wrote:
nbache wrote:You said earlier that you tried booting an old OS4 cd. Is it a version made for the Sam460?
Very likely not. I have several disks (some I burned myself from who can remember what source). None that have printed labels mention SAM460 on the outside. I just wanted to give each a try.
If you have a Sam460, you should have - or have a license for - an OS4 version for that platform.Didn't you get one with the machine?

boot1=s4siicdrom
I changed my boot1, previously just s4sii, to that on the basis of info received from javierdlr earlier in the thread. I don't have access to UBoot, but working on env is no problem. I probably tried one of the CDs thereafter, to no avail but I may try some of the others once the next issue seems settled.
I'm not sure I understand you saying you don't have access to UBoot, but can work on env? The "setenv" and "saveenv" commands ARE issued within UBoot, specifically on the UBoot command line. And about the CD, you won't get one booting (very far) if it isn't the correct Sam460 platform version. If you used to have one of those, but can't find it, maybe the best way forward is to buy the reasonably priced Final Edition for Sam460. Once that is registered, you'd even be able to download it again as an ISO for burning, should you ever lose the CD in the future. (Unfortunately this is not the case with the earlier OS versions.)
The only obvious info on it is Model #XWT-RC040. Is that meaningful, or should I look harder?
That's fine, I googled XWT-RC040 and found this page: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 45H22W6450 - where it is clearly stated that the chip is an SiI3114. So my bootx variables should work for you too.
I really appreciate your coming to my aid again, Niels. You've done so more times than I can remember. By the way, after your previous suggestions I was able to extract and read the PDF I was interested in. Thank you for that too.
Glad I could help :-)

Best regards,

Niels