AmiSSL version 4

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
xenic

AmiSSL version 4

Post by xenic »

I notice that AmiSSL 4 has been released for OS4. Is it recommended that the AmiSSL installed by OS4 be replaced with the new version and has AmiSSL 4 been tested by the OS4 beta testers?
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: AmiSSL version 4

Post by broadblues »

xenic wrote:I notice that AmiSSL 4 has been released for OS4. Is it recommended that the AmiSSL installed by OS4 be replaced with the new version
No, it's recomended that it be installed "as well as", not "instead of" I haven't had the chance to install it yet, so am not sure of the exact upgrade process.

Software needs to be recompiled to use amissl4 IIUC so you can't just install it and expect anything to automagically work with it. Changes in the underlying OpenSSL API etc etc
xenic

Post by xenic »

broadblues wrote:
xenic wrote:I notice that AmiSSL 4 has been released for OS4. Is it recommended that the AmiSSL installed by OS4 be replaced with the new version
No, it's recomended that it be installed "as well as", not "instead of" I haven't had the chance to install it yet, so am not sure of the exact upgrade process.

Software needs to be recompiled to use amissl4 IIUC so you can't just install it and expect anything to automagically work with it. Changes in the underlying OpenSSL API etc etc
O.K. I guess I misunderstood the docs. I thought that it just had additional API and would work with old API. It seems like it would have been a good candidate for having 2 Interfaces (one for old API and one for new API). I looked at files in the archive and see an amisslmaster.library. I don't see how 2 libraries with the same name can be installed.
Could you get back to this topic once you've installed it and add any additional info you discover?
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

The way I understand it, the new version is specifically made to be installed on top of old versions and provide backwards compatibility for programs using those.

The new LIBS:amisslmaster.library should redirect to the old LIBS:AmiSSL/amissl_v097g.library for old programs and to the new LIBS:AmiSSL/amissl_v110d.library for those that have been recompiled.

I have installed it with the installer in the archive, and I have seen no ill effects so far (although I haven't been hunting for any explicitly yet).

Best regards,

Niels
xenic

Post by xenic »

nbache wrote:The way I understand it, the new version is specifically made to be installed on top of old versions and provide backwards compatibility for programs using those.

The new LIBS:amisslmaster.library should redirect to the old LIBS:AmiSSL/amissl_v097g.library for old programs and to the new LIBS:AmiSSL/amissl_v110d.library for those that have been recompiled.

I have installed it with the installer in the archive, and I have seen no ill effects so far (although I haven't been hunting for any explicitly yet).
Niels
O.K. Your explanation was my interpretation of the docs but broadblues comments left me unsure. Have you tried any programs that use AmiSSL to see if it is in fact backward compatible? I know so little about SSL and secure connections that I'm being very cautious about installing v4 AmiSSL.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

xenic wrote:Have you tried any programs that use AmiSSL to see if it is in fact backward compatible?
I have accessed https:// pages, e.g. on PayPal (logged in, making a payment), with Odyssey without problems.

Best regards,

Niels
javierdlr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by javierdlr »

I installed AmiSSL v4 and have:
#list LIBS:AmiSSL/
Directorio "LIBS:AmiSSL" a Jueves 09-Feb-17
amissl_v097g.library 1938112 ----rwed Martes 13:27:36
amissl_v110d.library 5157907 ----rwed Martes 13:23:20

Using AWeb visited https://www.google.es and worked fine, it loads "old" amissl_v097g.library, Snoopy output:
00001 : AWeb : o.k. = CreateNewProc("AWeb retrieve") [6206uS]
00002 : AWeb retrieve : 0 = FindSegmentStackSize("<untracked>") [32uS]
00003 : AWeb retrieve : o.k. = [exec] OpenLibrary("bsdsocket.library",0) [113uS]
00004 : AWeb retrieve : o.k. = [exec] OpenLibrary("amisslmaster.library",3) [269uS]
00005 : ramlib : FAIL = [exec] FindResident("amissl_v097m.library") [27uS]
00006 : ramlib : FAIL = Lock("libs:amissl/amissl_v097m.library",SHARED) [147uS]
00007 : AWeb retrieve : FAIL = [exec] OpenLibrary("libs:amissl/amissl_v097m.library",3) [5986uS]
00008 : ramlib : FAIL = [exec] FindResident("amissl_v097g.library") [25uS]
00009 : ramlib : o.k. = Lock("libs:amissl/amissl_v097g.library",SHARED) [172uS]
00010 : ramlib : o.k. = LoadSeg("libs:amissl/amissl_v097g.library") = [0x161FBCD5] [57697uS]
00011 : AWeb retrieve : o.k. = [exec] OpenLibrary("libs:amissl/amissl_v097g.library",3) [87266uS]
00012 : AWeb retrieve : o.k. = Open("DEVS:Internet/hosts",OLD) = [0x176553D6] [270uS]
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@nbache
I have accessed https:// pages, e.g. on PayPal (logged in, making a payment), with Odyssey without problems.
But Odyssey didn't use AmiSSL, it uses directly openssl statically linked in. There wasn't any needs for Fab (and for me later when do porting) to use amissl, as pure compilation of openssl give the same result as well as don't rely on the slow amiga-specific development like waiting years for one or another library update :)
xenic

Post by xenic »

kas1e wrote: But Odyssey didn't use AmiSSL, it uses directly openssl statically linked in. There wasn't any needs for Fab (and for me later when do porting) to use amissl, as pure compilation of openssl give the same result as well as don't rely on the slow amiga-specific development like waiting years for one or another library update :)
The update may prove more important for OS3 than OS4. I still monitor the old IBrowse Yahoo ML and the latest post there indicates that new IBrowse will be compatable with MUI5 and use AmiSSL v4. It is still undetermined if IBrowse should work with MUI 3/4/5 or just MUI5.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

xenic wrote:
kas1e wrote: But Odyssey didn't use AmiSSL, it uses directly openssl statically linked in. There wasn't any needs for Fab (and for me later when do porting) to use amissl, as pure compilation of openssl give the same result as well as don't rely on the slow amiga-specific development like waiting years for one or another library update :)
The update may prove more important for OS3 than OS4. I still monitor the old IBrowse Yahoo ML and the latest post there indicates that new IBrowse will be compatable with MUI5 and use AmiSSL v4. It is still undetermined if IBrowse should work with MUI 3/4/5 or just MUI5.
It's also important for YAM users and certain ISPs (like german web.de) which started acting ill since last year refusing to work with AmiSSL3
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg