Update 3 scroll wheel no longer working

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
sicky

Re: Update 3 scroll wheel no longer working

Post by sicky »

Just to let you know after a hard reset everything was working fine, just don't know why it chose the wrong device/driver in the first place!
1mouse

Post by 1mouse »

ChrisH wrote:I don't have exactly the same problem, but I believe the cause is the same:

After my Sam440 finishes booting OS4.1u3, my KVM's mouse & keyboard simply don't work (or I only get Y-axis movement of mouse). I had similar (or possibly not so bad) problems with all earlier versions of OS4.1 too. The only way I solved it was by disabling bootmouse & bootkeyboard in Kicklayout. So given this part of the original Kicklayout:
MODULE Kickstart/hub.usbfd
MODULE Kickstart/bootmouse.usbfd
MODULE Kickstart/bootkeyboard.usbfd
MODULE Kickstart/massstorage.usbfd
MODULE Kickstart/uhci.usbhcd
MODULE Kickstart/ohci.usbhcd
MODULE Kickstart/ehci.usbhcd
I modified it to look like this:
;MODULE Kickstart/bootmouse.usbfd
;MODULE Kickstart/bootkeyboard.usbfd
;added hid to replace boot#?
MODULE Kickstart/hid.usbfd
Note that the new "hid" line has to be after some of the usb (uhci/etc) stuff or it doesn't work at all.

From the sound of it, the logic used to disable boot mouse/keyboard needs to be completely rewritten from scratch.

Tried all the MODULE amends listed above with no joy, Sam440ep boots to grey workbench screen with Ram and Work partitions. Workbench partition not shown.

Pointer displayed in top left of screen as normal pointer or timer randomly either way the computer is frozen
1mouse

Post by 1mouse »

ChrisH wrote:I don't have exactly the same problem, but I believe the cause is the same:

After my Sam440 finishes booting OS4.1u3, my KVM's mouse & keyboard simply don't work (or I only get Y-axis movement of mouse). I had similar (or possibly not so bad) problems with all earlier versions of OS4.1 too. The only way I solved it was by disabling bootmouse & bootkeyboard in Kicklayout. So given this part of the original Kicklayout:
MODULE Kickstart/bootmouse.usbfd
MODULE Kickstart/bootkeyboard.usbfd
I modified it to look like this:
Note that the new "hid" line has to be after some of the usb (uhci/etc) stuff or it doesn't work at all.

From the sound of it, the logic used to disable boot mouse/keyboard needs to be completely rewritten from scratch.

EDIT: I had it pointed out to me that my instructions were incomplete. I forgot to say:
Delete SYS:Kickstart/bootkeyboard.usbfd and bootmouse.usbfd.
Delete DEVS:USB/fdclasses/bootkeyboard.fdclass and bootmouse.usbfd.
Move hid.usbfd from DEVS:USB/fd/ to SYS:Kickstart/

I tried this just now and still freezes, and no workbench partition shown.
sba

Post by sba »

ssolie wrote:
mrdarek wrote:well, I live in Poland and not have much money for sending mouse to Hyperion for testing. I suggest buing esperanza mouse EM-102 for test - it low end device and cheap. Google image give picture this mouse on string "ESPERANZA EM102K" - but I not have "K" letter - but mouse looking similar
I was thinking the other way around. Software is tad cheaper to send around. ;)
I cannot do so much without testing this myself. According to the log, the mouse sends more data than expected in the initial configuration phase. It may be that the ehci driver is more picky about this as the ohci driver is. In the second attempt (after "usbctrl start") it looks like the problem I described in my previous post. If this is true, it would be worth to try another USB 2.0 hub in-between.
Daytona675x
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Daytona675x »

@ChrisH
After my Sam440 finishes booting OS4.1u3, my KVM's mouse & keyboard simply don't work (or I only get Y-axis movement of mouse). I had similar (or possibly not so bad) problems with all earlier versions of OS4.1 too. The only way I solved it was by disabling bootmouse & bootkeyboard in Kicklayout. ...
Solution:
Man, thank you so much!
This has finally fixed all my super-annoying mouse/keyboard-loss issues on my sam460ex (and the lent sam440ep that's running here at the moment).
Setup here is: Logitech G11 keyboard and Cyborg RAT 9 mouse plus USB stick (for quick data transfer between multiple machines) on an Uniclass AL204 KVM.
Before that fix I most often had to manually unplug / replug the KVM's USB input connector after booting (and sometimes even that didn't help).
Since I applied your kicklayout-patch from above it never happened again :)
Warp3D driver code-basher and bug-smasher - btw.: driver writing is nothing mysterious