Bootable OS4.1 USB-disk for X5000 with dd?

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
Roland

Bootable OS4.1 USB-disk for X5000 with dd?

Post by Roland »

Is it possible (e.g. in Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Live) to make a bootable USB-stick from the OS4.1 installation diskimage (.iso), using dd? When I tried that, the copying was finished succesfully, but the result was not bootable... Some other comand or program to try...?

- Roland -
- Roland -
Roland

Re: Bootable OS4.1 USB-disk for X5000 with dd?

Post by Roland »

Roland wrote:Is it possible (e.g. in Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Live) to make a bootable USB-stick from the OS4.1 installation diskimage (.iso), using dd? When I tried that, the copying was finished succesfully, but the result was not bootable... Some other comand or program to try...?

- Roland -
No one wanting to comment/test this...? Xeno...?-)

- Roland -
- Roland -
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Roland wrote:Is it possible (e.g. in Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Live) to make a bootable USB-stick from the OS4.1 installation diskimage (.iso), using dd? When I tried that, the copying was finished succesfully, but the result was not bootable... Some other comand or program to try...?

- Roland -
Hi Roland,

Sorry, I haven't seen your post. Yes, it is possible to make a bootable USB stick with dd from the OS4.1 ISO. I copied the OS4.1 ISO with dd to a SanDisk USB flash drive on ubuntu MATE and after that, I successfully booted it with U-Boot. Sometimes you have to execute the U-Boot command usb reset.

First, please run the command usb reset. After that try it again.

With usb info and usb tree you can see all USB devices including your flash drive. The best command is usb storage. It shows only USB storage devices.

Have you seen any error messages like ** Bad device usb 0 ** or timeout errors?

Which graphics card is installed in your X5000? Maybe the graphics cards driver RadeonHD.chip on the OS4.1 ISO is not the latest one. Maybe you have other graphics cards for testing. For example a cheap Radeon HD5450 (about US$30).

Have you tried to boot OS4.1 from another USB flash drive yet?

I usually use some expensive and very fast SanDisk USB3 flash drives with 32GB or higher. I figured out that these USB flash drives even work faster on Nemo's USB2 bus. I didn't know, that so much differences exist between the USB flash drives before. Today, I rather buy more expensive USB flash drives because of the performance. We changed from Linux live DVDs to live USB distributions because of the performance last year. The MATE PowerPC Remix 2017 boots very fast with a SanDisk USB3 flash drive. U-Boot doesn't like all the USB sticks.

Cheers,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
Roland

Post by Roland »

xeno74 wrote: Sorry, I haven't seen your post. Yes, it is possible to make a bootable USB stick with dd from the OS4.1 ISO. I copied the OS4.1 ISO with dd to a SanDisk USB flash drive on ubuntu MATE and after that, I successfully booted it with U-Boot. Sometimes you have to execute the U-Boot command usb reset.

First, please run the command usb reset. After that try it again.
Thank you very much for your answer!-) Yes, I did run the 'usb reset'. In my machine it has to be run always after booting before any USB disk can be used. As a curiosity, after 'usb reset' has been run, pressing ANY key results that the command is run a second time... Is that normal behavior of U-Boot?
Have you seen any error messages like ** Bad device usb 0 ** or timeout errors?
No, if I have run the 'usb reset'. 'Bad device...' is of course shown unless I run it, and try to to access any USB disk.
Which graphics card is installed in your X5000? Maybe the graphics cards driver RadeonHD.chip on the OS4.1 ISO is not the latest one. Maybe you have other graphics cards for testing. For example a cheap Radeon HD5450 (about US$30).
The problem is that after running 'boota' the USB medium is not at all recognized as a bootable disk... There is just that message 'no bootable devices found'. So this cannot be a graphics card problem as Kickstart loading is not started and the system stays still at U-boot level.
Have you tried to boot OS4.1 from another USB flash drive yet?
If I remember right I did try another drive but they are both the same type (Kingston Datatraveler DT50, 8 and 16 GB). Is there any meaning how the USB disk is prepared and what file format is used before 'dd'ing the image on it?
I usually use some expensive and very fast SanDisk USB3 flash drives with 32GB or higher. I figured out that these USB flash drives even work faster on Nemo's USB2 bus. I didn't know, that so much differences exist between the USB flash drives before. Today, I rather buy more expensive USB flash drives because of the performance. We changed from Linux live DVDs to live USB distributions because of the performance last year. The MATE PowerPC Remix 2017 boots very fast with a SanDisk USB3 flash drive. U-Boot doesn't like all the USB sticks.
I think that most of my USB sticks are made by Kingston. For running the Ubuntu 16.04 live I have used a microSD-card (sold by Nokia) with a minimal USB adapter, and there has not been any problems. Maybe I should test the OS 4.1 with it and Ubuntu with a DT50...? (I am now 2 weeks away from my X5000, so have to wait until I can try anything).

- Roland -
- Roland -
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Hi Roland,

Does OS4.1 boot from the hard disk?

If not, maybe amigaboot.ub isn't installed on the onboard microSD card.

Install instructions:

Copy amigaboot.ub to the root of another USB flash drive. You will find amigaboot.ub on the OS4.1 CD. After that boot your X5000 and execute the following commands:

Code: Select all

fatload usb 0:0 0x10000000 amigaboot.ub
mmc write 0x10000000 0x4000 0xff 
Then try to boot OS4.1 from the USB flash drive again.

Thanks,
Christian

Roland

Post by Roland »

xeno74 wrote: Does OS4.1 boot from the hard disk? If not, maybe amigaboot.ub isn't installed on the onboard microSD card.
I cannot verify that as I have not yet been able to install OS4.1 on a hard disk...! The installation DVD I burned (Linux/Brasero) starts to boot, but the boot process stops (as well as all disk activity) and the machine hangs immediately after all Kickstart modules are loaded. The last text appearing on the screen is: "About to call loader entry at 0x7BD02020". Nothing printed on screen after that, the U-boot screen just stays there. Only way out is to reboot...
Install instructions:

Copy amigaboot.ub to the root of another USB flash drive. You will find amigaboot.ub on the OS4.1 CD. After that boot your X5000 and execute the following commands:

Code: Select all

fatload usb 0:0 0x10000000 amigaboot.ub
mmc write 0x10000000 0x4000 0xff 
Then try to boot OS4.1 from the USB flash drive again.
Thanks for this tip!-) I will try it when I get back to my machine, unless I find some other solution... But would it be safest to make first a backup of the whole SD? That can be made with dd, is that correct?

- Roland -
- Roland -
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Roland wrote:... But would it be safest to make first a backup of the whole SD? That can be made with dd, is that correct?

- Roland -
Yes, that's right.