Image preview in ASL requesters

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
walkero
Site Admin

Image preview in ASL requesters

Post by walkero »

It would be great to have a preview of images in the ASL requesters. For example, when someone tries to select a backdrop, and he is in a folder with wallpapers, it would be super great to have a small thumb image at the right of the ASL window to show the clicked image.

Do you believe that something like that is doable?
If you develop or want to develop for AmigaOS 4.x, then join us at OS4Coding.net
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Image preview in ASL requesters

Post by Hypex »

Good idea! It gets a bit naff to open a Workbench window and open up images in order to find out what they look like. Then try and remember the file name in the requester. :D
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

Hypex wrote:Good idea! It gets a bit naff to open a Workbench window and open up images in order to find out what they look like. Then try and remember the file name in the requester. :D

If you were a real amiga user you'd rememeber you don't need to remeber the filename just drop the file on the application or the filerequester.

And on recent workbenchs you can set the view mode to previews so you don't need to open the image to see what it looks like.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

walkero wrote:It would be great to have a preview of images in the ASL requesters. For example, when someone tries to select a backdrop, and he is in a folder with wallpapers, it would be super great to have a small thumb image at the right of the ASL window to show the clicked image.

Do you believe that something like that is doable?
I'm sure it's "doable" but it would make the requester sluggish and unresponsive.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Look how long it takes Windows to open a directory with just a few images...
cheers
tony
billyfish

Post by billyfish »

Unless I'm getting it wrong, it's not to show all of the images in the given directory, it's to see a thumbnail of the image for whichever file is currently selected in the file browser part of the requester. If so I can't see why that would be slow as it would only be be showing a single thumbnail at any one time. I'd be surprised, and worried about the underlying code, if that made the requester sluggish and unresponsive.

Good tip about the drag and drop Andy, not sure about the real amiga user bit though, I'm farly sure we're all mostly real! :-)
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

broadblues wrote:If you were a real amiga user you'd rememeber you don't need to remeber the filename just drop the file on the application or the filerequester.
I only have OS3.9 on my real Amiga. ;-)

But not all applications work like this. Some are a bit stubborn and don't allow drag and drop. So it's good ASL can still be used this way.
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

billyfish wrote:Unless I'm getting it wrong, it's not to show all of the images in the given directory, it's to see a thumbnail of the image for whichever file is currently selected in the file browser part of the requester. If so I can't see why that would be slow as it would only be be showing a single thumbnail at any one time. I'd be surprised, and worried about the underlying code, if that made the requester sluggish and unresponsive.

Good tip about the drag and drop Andy, not sure about the real amiga user bit though, I'm farly sure we're all mostly real! :-)
that would be a handy feature indeed! :)