Keyboard slowing down boot process over 20 secs

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
Roland

Keyboard slowing down boot process over 20 secs

Post by Roland »

I noticed a strange thing when I tested booting without my keyboard connected... The X5000 booted over 20 secs faster without the keyboard connected than with it! And it was the boot animation which was affected: it run much faster when the Keyboard was unplugged. What was most pecular, disconnecting the keyboard during the animation slowed it further, instead of making it to run faster?!

My keyboard is a Ducky One. Is it the same for all keyboards...?

- Roland -
- Roland -
Ribdevil

Re: Keyboard slowing down boot process over 20 secs

Post by Ribdevil »

Roland wrote:I noticed a strange thing when I tested booting without my keyboard connected... The X5000 booted over 20 secs faster without the keyboard connected than with it! And it was the boot animation which was affected: it run much faster when the Keyboard was unplugged. What was most pecular, disconnecting the keyboard during the animation slowed it further, instead of making it to run faster?!

- Roland -
In my system yes.
But I have a keyboard that the anim in UBOOT is fast, but don't let me go to boot menu, and the clock don't work.
My UBOOT is 2014.04 (Oct

I think we have similar problems. And it's a HARDWARE PROBLEM, or drivers in UBOOT. :(

Virginio
Roland

Post by Roland »

Ribdevil wrote:
Roland wrote:I noticed a strange thing when I tested booting without my keyboard connected... The X5000 booted over 20 secs faster without the keyboard connected than with it! And it was the boot animation which was affected: it run much faster when the Keyboard was unplugged. What was most pecular, disconnecting the keyboard during the animation slowed it further, instead of making it to run faster?!

In my system yes.
But I have a keyboard that the anim in UBOOT is fast, but don't let me go to boot menu, and the clock don't work.
My UBOOT is 2014.04 (Oct
Thanks for confirming this... I have the same U-Boot version. How about other X5000 users, can you tell whether the keyboard affects the speed of boot animation? In my case the difference is very clear, the ten 'flashes' go with very short intervals when the keybord is not conncted.
- Roland -
daveyw

Post by daveyw »

I have a mechanical keyboard from WASDKeyboards.

The Boing Ball in the boot anim spins really fast when its not plugged in!
Roland

Post by Roland »

daveyw wrote:I have a mechanical keyboard from WASDKeyboards.

Ok, thanks for this info... So It seems this is a problem (or "feature") of all Cyrus+ boards. Not a big deal in normal use, but quite annoying when you are 'debugging' something and have to reboot regularly... Let's hope there will be some fix for this in future.
- Roland -
xenic

Post by xenic »

Roland wrote:
daveyw wrote:I have a mechanical keyboard from WASDKeyboards.

Ok, thanks for this info... So It seems this is a problem (or "feature") of all Cyrus+ boards. Not a big deal in normal use, but quite annoying when you are 'debugging' something and have to reboot regularly... Let's hope there will be some fix for this in future.
I don't have an X5000 yet but was wondering if unplugging the mouse or mouse & keybord has any effect.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Roland

Post by Roland »

xenic wrote:I don't have an X5000 yet but was wondering if unplugging the mouse or mouse & keybord has any effect.
With mouse (A-Eon BoingBall MV 1000-1) I have not noticed any problems or effects on boot process, it is only the Keyboard. There are also problems with text input, but that topic deserves a new thread...
- Roland -
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

@Roland

Have you tried with a more generic keyboard?
Roland

Post by Roland »

broadblues wrote:@Roland
Have you tried with a more generic keyboard?
Not yet... As X5000 is my first machine with USB, I do not have any old peripherals around. Have to wait until I can borrow something to test... On the other hand, as I bought this expensive 'Loriano keyboard' especially for X5000, I would naturally like to use it :-). As Duckies has been used for a long time with X1000s, I suppose also the X5000 software will be fixed to work properly with them.
- Roland -