New x5000 owner, some issues

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
icbrkr

New x5000 owner, some issues

Post by icbrkr »

Afternoon -

I've had my x5000 for about a week, and have come across a few.. bugs? Features? Some of them I'm sure have been talked about before but I'll put them out there.

More than once, when coming out of 'sleep' mode, or power-down, or whatever it's called when you leave it alone for a bit, my machine's mouse/keyboard locks up. Sometimes, I can see the clock updating, but attempting a soft-reboot doesn't do anything. The keyboard is completely non-responsive. If I flip the switch and reboot, it gets past the spinning boing-ball and then the fans kick in and start running fast and nothing else. If I then try again, and go into the early start menu and select 'boot Amiga OS', it works again.

When I originally got the machine from AmigaOnTheLake, there was a PCI soundcard in the lower PCI slot (SIIG Soundwave). Playing sound with TuneNet would cause it to lose sound after about 20 seconds and it would reappear only when you hard-rebooted. Plaiyng videos via YouTube was impossible as it would lock up. When I moved to the upper PCI slot, it started working better and has only crashed a couple of times.

Accidentally leaving a non-bootable DVD in the drive prevents the machine from booting up - did this after installing something and rebooting, and it refused to get past the boing-ball until I removed it.

Thanks.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: New x5000 owner, some issues

Post by nbache »

icbrkr wrote:More than once, when coming out of 'sleep' mode, or power-down, or whatever it's called when you leave it alone for a bit, my machine's mouse/keyboard locks up.
I am guessing that the "sleep mode" you are referring to is when the screenblanker has kicked in. You might try deactivating the ScreenBlankerEngine entry in the WBStartup prefs program and rebooting. If that stops your machine freezing after periods of inactivity, you probably have at least one screenblanker module which is unstable. You can try (after reactivating the engine and rebooting) disabling the modules in the ScreenBlanker prefs program one at a time to try to narrow down which one is not "playing ball" (pun not intended, but it might actually be the BoingBall one, at least I see I have disabled it on my X1000). Then leave that one disabled.
Accidentally leaving a non-bootable DVD in the drive prevents the machine from booting up - did this after installing something and rebooting, and it refused to get past the boing-ball until I removed it.
I think that has been mentioned before as an as yet missing feature in the driver. (But I don't have an X5000 myself yet.)

Best regards,

Niels
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

@icbrkr

Having a SATA DVD connected to the onboard SATA can cause as delay at booting.
My DVD drive is not connected. If I need a DVD drive i Use an External USB one.

Also I have just changed video cards to a Radeon R250 (Verde) and sometimes a soft reboot doe not seem to work now .

Sound cards are a bit of an issue at the moment.
A pciex1 envyht24 is currently the most stable option.

You can monitor this thread for updates .
http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... =57&t=3625
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
icbrkr

Post by icbrkr »

Spectre660 wrote:@icbrkr

Having a SATA DVD connected to the onboard SATA can cause as delay at booting.
My DVD drive is not connected. If I need a DVD drive i Use an External USB one.

Also I have just changed video cards to a Radeon R250 (Verde) and sometimes a soft reboot doe not seem to work now .

Sound cards are a bit of an issue at the moment.
A pciex1 envyht24 is currently the most stable option.

You can monitor this thread for updates .
http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... =57&t=3625
Ah.. I thought the long delay was something cool happening :) I guess not.

I went into the blanker settings, and turned off the suspend/power down features to see how that works. If it keeps having problems, I'll turn off the blanker for now.

Thanks!

Brian
tohe

Post by tohe »

icbrkr wrote: Playing sound with TuneNet would cause it to lose sound after about 20 seconds and it would reappear only when you hard-rebooted. Plaiyng videos via YouTube was impossible as it would lock up. When I moved to the upper PCI slot, it started working better and has only crashed a couple of times.
This is exactly the issue that I'm having too. Sound actually works quite well with fresh install, but after Enhancer package it started to behave strangly. I sometime manage to get it back when playing with mixer-utility. My competer is not crashing but sound just disappers, when I have time I'll check whether the old sound prefs (AmigaOS install disk) will work better.
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

Reverted to a more standard configuration .
8139 Ethernet card in the last pci slot and CMI8738 audio card in the first pci slot .Video card ASUS Radeon R7 250 (Verde chipset)
Have not had any sound problems during video playback or with Tunenet under AmigaOS 4.1 and with the Enhancer Plus Package installed .
Both of the PCI cards mentioned above are old. Have had them for a long time .
Attachments
X5000_Sound_Card.png
X5000_ethernet_Card.png
X5000_Video_Card.png
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

My AHI prefs
Attachments
ahi.zip
(244 Bytes) Downloaded 305 times
tohe

Post by tohe »

I finally had time to check the sound issue:
- I switch back my old Fortemedia PCI card from A4k
- with new Enhancer pack and sound prefs there the sound just freezes e.g. when using streaming (youtube, nectarine etc.)
- copied the original ahi prefs application from OS4.1 FE pre installation -> sound works as expected whole evening

So for me at least this seems new sound prefs issue, yesterday I managed to play whole evening with Nectarine and playing around with installing some new software (e.g. the great AOrganiser).

[edit: my newer card is CMI based and graphics card is R9 280x]
icbrkr

Post by icbrkr »

Spectre660 wrote:Reverted to a more standard configuration .
8139 Ethernet card in the last pci slot and CMI8738 audio card in the first pci slot .Video card ASUS Radeon R7 250 (Verde chipset)
Have not had any sound problems during video playback or with Tunenet under AmigaOS 4.1 and with the Enhancer Plus Package installed .
Both of the PCI cards mentioned above are old. Have had them for a long time .
I have PCIe NIC in this thing - I do have a 8139 in my 4000T. Guess I'll pull it out and see if it helps on the x5000.
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

@ icbrkr

The pciex1 network card should not cause any problems .
The CMI sound cards are the culprit.
You could try to get a pci sound blaster Live!
https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-So ... r+live+%21