Buzzing fan

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
smf
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Buzzing fan

Post by smf »

daveyw wrote:
JamesFelix wrote: The MCU on the X5000 will shutdown the board if the CPU get near to its critical temperature.
Hmmm... I have had a few mysterious shutdowns lately, and we're still in Spring. My X5000 has just powered off. Once when I was using it, and other times I left it on overnight and woke up and it was off.

Hope its not overheating already. It gets quite sticky in Auckland in February, that's when I was always most worried about my A1XE.
If it continues to power down you could attach a serial cable to the mcu serial port and try to capture what's going on. (the serialport pins on the motherboard, not the external one)
When the temperature is critical high and the mcu shuts down the computer you will see it on the serial log.
I learned that when i somehow managed to stop the cpu-fan from spinning and the system was shut down :)
That was when i was still testing different fan configurations in the case so i always had a raspberry pi connected to it so that i could see if my experiments did any improvements to the cooling.

I also suffered from random shutdowns later on when i did not have anything connected to the serial so i did not know why it was shutdown.
It got worse and worse and eventually it would shut down just after powering it on so i had to investigate it.
That situation was cured when i replaced the mmc card so i guess it was corrupt or had a bad connection (i reflashed the mmc card so it was too late to investigate it further).
khayoz

Post by khayoz »

JamesFelix wrote:
khayoz wrote: This is one of my main worries with owning such expensive machine, that the fan die and the cpu dies.
Is anyone working on a cpu temp app/docky for the X5000? Preferebly with a shutdown feature.
The MCU on the X5000 will shutdown the board if the CPU get near to its critical temperature.
For the app you can find out the CPU temperature with the serial commands to the MCU which is in the technical reference manual.
Thank you for the reply! No need to worry then. :)
1989--> A500, A600, A3000, A4000, A1200, CD32, µA1, PegII, A1XE, CDTV, Amy/416D79, A1X5000, Amy-ITXv1.6, Amy-ITXv1.8, A500 rev8A & rev8A.1 <--2022
JamesFelix
Varisys
Varisys

Post by JamesFelix »

Roland wrote: Could you please give us some 'maintenance tips' concerning the original Silence 6 fan?

Can this model be lubricated, and what substance should you use in that case?

I saw on some other forum a tip to add dampeners between the fan and heat sink. What material should the dampeners be? If the heatsink gets very hot, I suppose rubber is not suitable for that purpose...?
I have no knowledge on maintenance tips for fans.
Roland wrote:The problem could also be in the speed regulation of the fan. Have you followed whether your fan speeds up when the CPU load rises? One thing to try is to connect your fan directly to the power supply (12V), so that it is running constantly at full speed. If that solves the problem, then there is some problem with the voltage regulation.
You can save having to put 12V directly by disconnecting pin 3(tacho) on the fan and the board will assume no tacho so will just power the fan without any control.
Roland

Re: Buzzing fan (and a reality check, A-Eon!)

Post by Roland »

Story continues...

My CPU fan (Silent 6) started a few days ago keep a horrible noise (being silent a few monts, after the initial noises it kept during first weeks). The noise dissappears after a few minutes, but is quite unsupportable. So my first idea was to contact my dealer and ask a warranty replacement, as my Cyrus+ has been used just a few monts...

But their answer: to get the fan replaced under warranty, I should sent the WHOLE MOTHERBOARD to them !! (Or buy a new on on my own cost). This is the most idiotic suggestion I have ever heard... Sending the board would cost several times the price of a high quality fan, and the "repair" process would take again several weeks!

So, A-Eon people etc, would you please use some COMMON SENSE IN YOUR WARRANTY POLITICS!!! If a user bought from you a Cyrus board and was able to put together a working machine from separate components, he can surely remove safely a fan, and install again the replacement! So, the ONLY reasonable solution would be to accept to receive and replace just the fan!

(Goes without saying I chose to order myself a new fan - not a Silent 6 but a high quality one!)
- Roland -
xenic

Post by xenic »

Roland wrote: (Goes without saying I chose to order myself a new fan - not a Silent 6 but a high quality one!)
I replaced my fan with another Silent 6 but added some minimal spacers; hoping that the spacers would decrease the air flow resistance and keep the fan from going bad. So far it's been OK for 2+ months.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

Roland wrote:Story continues...

My CPU fan (Silent 6) started a few days ago keep a horrible noise (being silent a few monts, after the initial noises it kept during first weeks). The noise dissappears after a few minutes, but is quite unsupportable. So my first idea was to contact my dealer and ask a warranty replacement, as my Cyrus+ has been used just a few monts...

But their answer: to get the fan replaced under warranty, I should sent the WHOLE MOTHERBOARD to them !! (Or buy a new on on my own cost). This is the most idiotic suggestion I have ever heard... Sending the board would cost several times the price of a high quality fan, and the "repair" process would take again several weeks!

So, A-Eon people etc, would you please use some COMMON SENSE IN YOUR WARRANTY POLITICS!!! If a user bought from you a Cyrus board and was able to put together a working machine from separate components, he can surely remove safely a fan, and install again the replacement! So, the ONLY reasonable solution would be to accept to receive and replace just the fan!

(Goes without saying I chose to order myself a new fan - not a Silent 6 but a high quality one!)
Sending back the entire Board... with the risk of damage due shipment and being away for several weeks.. for a Fan that costs... 5 Euro :-) What a bunch of Amateurs..
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
Roland

Post by Roland »

xenic wrote: I replaced my fan with another Silent 6 but added some minimal spacers; hoping that the spacers would decrease the air flow resistance and keep the fan from going bad. So far it's been OK for 2+ months.
I already removed the old fan but still waiting for the new one to arrive... How much space did you exactly leave between the fan and heat sink? And what material did you use as spacer...? I'm not sure how hot the heat sink on Cyrus can in extremis become but I would not dare to put there rubber, even though it would also eliminate noise.
- Roland -
Roland

Post by Roland »

The new fan (Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX) arrived finally... I installed it using 3 mm teflon spacers between the fan and the heat sink.

It is very silent! I cannot separate it's sound from the normal quiet puffing of the fans of F.D. Core 3500 (flow control in middle position). Using the included low-noise adapters it would be even more silent...
- Roland -