PFS in OS4 possible?

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
Juzz

PFS in OS4 possible?

Post by Juzz »

Hey there,

I got my X5000 this friday - and I was wondering will it be possible to read and write to PFS disks?

I would really like to update the CF card for my A4000, but that has been setup as a PFS - can I only do that in AmigaForever in WinBlows?

Cheers
Juzz
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: PFS in OS4 possible?

Post by tonyw »

PFS should run as it is (in 68k version). Try it by copying the PFS binary to the L/ directory on SYS: and see what happens.
If it does not work, then it probably has old bugs that prevent it. It's most unlikely that anyone will bother to recompile such an old FS as PFS to use OS4's new features.
cheers
tony
tommysammy

Post by tommysammy »

It works, i will create a small guide at next weekend or so.I am using my X5000 for my PFS3 formated CF cards from my Amiga 600 to make backups and for writing files
AmigaOne X1000 Betatester A1-X1090
AmigaOne X1000/4GB Ram/Saphire Radeon 7850 1GB/256GB SSD HD/2GB CF Card/RTL8169Network
smf
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by smf »

Hi Juzz
It will work.

I assume that you have it connected with some usb cf-reader.
If so, go to sys:system and find the mounter tool.
Bring up the icon information for mounter and edit the device tooltype, if you use cf-usb adapter tell it to use usbdisk.device
ie "DEVICE=usbdisk.device"
If you have it connected some other way you can still use mounter but need to use another device...

Now launch mounter and just tell it to mount your partitions on the cf-card.
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

tonyw wrote:It's most unlikely that anyone will bother to recompile such an old FS as PFS to use OS4's new features.
FWIW I've considered looking into doing that just for fun, but right now I have some other work I need to do...
Juzz

Post by Juzz »

Thank you all for your replies - after Tonys reply I took a look at it and found it works just like smf suggested :D
tommysammy

Post by tommysammy »

Here is a small guide to mount PFS3 formated CF-cards with AmigaOs.4.1

1. Download PFS3 from Aminet http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/pfs3aio and install PFS3_aio-handler to L/
2.Plug in your PFS3 formated CF-card, make a reset
3.You will not see your PFS3 formated at Workbench
4.Open MediaToolbox, choose usbdisk.device, choose your CF-card
5.Choose a partition of your CF-card, right MBT and choose "Save RDB as Mountlist" then choose "DOSDrivers"
Save mountlist to Storage/DOSDrivers and NOT to DEVS/DOSdrivers because if you save it to DEVS/DOSDrivers and your CF-card is not installed, you will get error messages like "Device xxx is not installed" at startup
6.Open tooltypes of the saved mountlist file in Storage/DOSDrivers/ and chhose as Default tool C/Mount and in the tooltypes ACTIVATE=1
7.Before you startup your Amiga, install now your CF-Card, double click in Storage/DOSDrivers the mountlist like DH0 etc. and you will see your mounted device at Workbench

Note: It is important to give your CF-card another name like your Amiga partition. If your Amiga have DH0,DH1,DH2 etc take for your CF-card GDH0,GHD1,GHD2 etc
If your Amiga partition is SYS: then take another name for your CF-card partition like Workbench etc.Otherwise, this can lead to problems
AmigaOne X1000 Betatester A1-X1090
AmigaOne X1000/4GB Ram/Saphire Radeon 7850 1GB/256GB SSD HD/2GB CF Card/RTL8169Network
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

tommysammy wrote:If your Amiga partition is SYS: then take another name for your CF-card partition like Workbench etc.Otherwise, this can lead to problems
Potentially misleading example there. Hopefully nobody gives any partition a volume name or device name of SYS, as that will surely clash with the assign SYS given by the system to the boot partition.

Maybe you should use System in your example instead of SYS? It's not uncommon to have a boot partition with a volume name of System.

Best regards,

Niels