USB SD card readers

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Spirantho
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

USB SD card readers

Post by Spirantho »

Hi Everybody,
I'm trying to read the SD Card from my camera. It's FAT32, I think (definitely FAT of some kind).
As I often fit a USB stick into my X1000 and it just happily boots, I wasn't expecting to have so much trouble.
The SD Card reader is detected. It appears in Mounter. It sees the card. But when I mount it, it looks for an RDB (which of course doesn't exist as it's MBR).
There must be a way to mount it cleanly, as the USB stick works perfectly - but of course I can't use a USB stick in my camera.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I can't find much information on FAT32 SD cards in USB card readers at all (it's a multiformat reader with different slots for different types of card).

Thanks for any help!
Spectre660

Re: USB SD card readers

Post by Spectre660 »

See if the card shows up in USB Masstorage commodity .
CONTROL+ALT+M
Spirantho wrote:Hi Everybody,
I'm trying to read the SD Card from my camera. It's FAT32, I think (definitely FAT of some kind).
As I often fit a USB stick into my X1000 and it just happily boots, I wasn't expecting to have so much trouble.
The SD Card reader is detected. It appears in Mounter. It sees the card. But when I mount it, it looks for an RDB (which of course doesn't exist as it's MBR).
There must be a way to mount it cleanly, as the USB stick works perfectly - but of course I can't use a USB stick in my camera.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I can't find much information on FAT32 SD cards in USB card readers at all (it's a multiformat reader with different slots for different types of card).

Thanks for any help!
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
Spirantho
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Spirantho »

It says "Error: Filesystem not found". The media size is correct: 1,886.0M. The Device is correct: usbdisk.device.
If I select FAT it says "USB1: Unreadable". It should be using unit 0. How do I force Unit 0 to FAT?
It does seem odd that even in Final Edition, I can't just plug an SDCard into a working reader! Which makes me think I'm missing something...

Thanks for the help!
Roland

Post by Roland »

Spirantho wrote: I'm trying to read the SD Card from my camera. It's FAT32, I think (definitely FAT of some kind).

Is that SD card a 'real' SD card, or a microSD card in a SD adapter? If it is the latter one, you could try to use it with a simple microSD card - USB adapter. By using a such one, I have had no problems to read FAT formatted microSD cards in my X5000.
- Roland -
Spirantho
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Spirantho »

I'm trying with both. I suspect the reason it works for you is because you're using a single-unit adapter - mine is a multiple-slot adapter. My camera uses SD Card so I'd prefer to use this or a similar one really rather than forcing myself to use microSD.
I just tried it in my wife's uSD->USB adapter and it came up perfectly... so the card is readable by the X1000, if only I can get it to see it properly when it's in a multiple-slot reader.

Thanks!
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

Your reader model may be the issue.
Just tested an old Muticard reader with no problems on my X5000.
Formatted the sdcard as FAT,FAT32 and exFAT and it was mounted on workbench each time.
USB inspector shows

Product: Mass Storage Device
Vendor: Generic
Subclass : 6

Also Just Mounted a Amigakit RDB CF card for the A1200 at the same time as the Fat32 SD card
Last edited by Spectre660 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirantho
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Spirantho »

It's the reader I actually got ages ago to use with my Highway, I think. It's quite old, but it works. Maybe it's just an incompatibility.
I have a cheapie multi-reader device too but I think it's dodgy, so not a fair indication.

Wonder if I can find another to test....
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

It is also nice to have a second OS (Linux) on your Powerpc machine for situations like this.
Spirantho wrote:It's the reader I actually got ages ago to use with my Highway, I think. It's quite old, but it works. Maybe it's just an incompatibility.
I have a cheapie multi-reader device too but I think it's dodgy, so not a fair indication.

Wonder if I can find another to test....