multiple ssd drives

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
Quaros

Re: multiple ssd drives

Post by Quaros »

This week the Marvel controller arrived and I was able to see the connected SSD when trying to intall Ubuntu on it. So that Marvel controller seems to work fine indeed!
The setup I want to have is:

SSD1 on SATA port 0 on the Cyrus board: AmigaOS
SSD2 on SATA port 1 on the Cyrus board: MorphOS
SSD3 on one of the 4 SATA ports of the Marvel PCI-E controller: Ubuntu

However when I do 'sata info' on Uboot I can only see the SSD's which are connected to the onboard SATA ports.
How should I proceed to boot Linux (partly) from the Marvel conroller or is that not a possible at all?
Glad to hear some thoughts about that.
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

@Quaros

U-Boot wont see the drives connected to the Marvel controller.
The Linux kernel will once booted.
The drives connected to the Marvel controller will have higher letters than those connected to the Onboard SATA ports.
Thus the first partition on the first drive attached to the Marvel controller will be /dev/sda1 .
You thus have to adjust your u-boot bootargs variable to point to a correct partition with a Linux installation.
It is possible to boot from a previous Linux installation on your older drive and copy the partition to the drive attached to the Marvel Controller using Gparted copy and pate partition for a non root partition or the dd command line command for the root partition .
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
Quaros

Post by Quaros »

@Spectre660

Thank you very much for your answer! I am however not very familiar with the Uboot syntax and struggle a bit to get it working here.
I was following the X5000 blog (https://amigax5000.blog/2017/07/23/inst ... the-x5000/) for this installation but I am somehow a bit stuck on the following part in this guide under the header 'Final Modification of U-boot settings':

-----
If this was copied across to say a SSD or actual disk drive connected to one of the onboard SATA ports then you may need to amend this to: (assuming that the drive is device b)

Code: Select all

setenv bootargs root=/dev/sdb2 boot=casper rootdelay=10 mem3500M radeon.pci_gen2=1; fatload sata 0:1 1000000 uImage-cyrus; fatload sata 0:1 2000000 cyrus_5020.dtb; bootm 1000000 – 200000
The SATA command 0:1 relates to port 0 on the board so amend this to 1:1 if this was connected to port 1.
-----

In my case the target SSD has the two partitions as described in the guide:
SDA1 (fat32) & SDA2 (ext4) on the Marvel controller. However the above Uboot code will only work for the onboard sata ports. So I am really wondering what Uboot code I should use to start Ubuntu?
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

@Quaros

U-Boot cant load anything from any of the drives connected to the Marvel controller so you need
to boot the kernel and dtb from a fat partition on a USB thumb drive or the microSD card .
Start with the USB thumb drive as there is less room for error .

Have a look here for the most up to date installation method.
http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... =58&t=3776

You can start the Ubuntu Installer to get the basic U-boot arguments set and
use the same USB thumbdrive to boot your preinstalled installation on /dev/sda2.
Just reset the X5000 after it starts the first installation screen .
It will write the Uboot variables "bootargs" and "ubuntu" for you.
Then on rebooting and entering the U-boot shell use

editenv bootargs
to change the boot partition in the bootargs variable to

/dev/sda2
then

saveenv
To boot type the following in the U-boot shell .

run ubuntu
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card