AmigaOS 4.1 Classic Hardware compatibility list...

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
Hans-Joerg Frieden
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: AmigaOS 4.1 Classic Hardware compatibility list...

Post by Hans-Joerg Frieden »

Rotzloeffel wrote:If not I am confuesed because they are the harware manufacturer....
Well neither is ATI.

Elbox has input on the development, and in fact have helped out in the past. There are issues however that are difficult to overcome because AmigaOS 4 is running on the PowerPC, and there are issues with hardware access from the PowerPC which is not clocked synchronously with the rest of the bus. For some access, simple waitstates help, or slowing down the access, but that is not always a workable solution.
NOTICE: If you want to contact me, use E-Mail. I cannot be contacted via the forum/private messages anymore
bamiga2002

Post by bamiga2002 »

Maybe a new TRUE DMA capable Mediator would solve this... ;)
Neil_P

Post by Neil_P »

The information about the Amiga OS4.1 Update 3 initially I could not find this information on the main Hyperion's OS4.1 Update 3 page. I eventually noticed it was hidden away until you click on the lower link to "read more" which I easily missed when viewing the initial brief information about Update 3.

If the "read more" link had been in the same text area, and maybe close to the heading or immediately after the brief text about Update 3 then I wouldn't have missed it. Initially it seemed it could only be read if you had authority to download it.

I still haven't committed to OS4.1.x as I still am uncertain of it's cost to benefit potential, and the lack of available new information and PCI drivers is not helping.

What information about Update 3 there is, seems to be mainly complaints that the USB update is causing problems for mice and keyboard controls that use USB - switching it automatically to bootmouse from hid.class.

The only other comments I noticed are that the GFX system for at least 2 people, one using a Classic Amiga, and another using a SAM board are having GFX break-up - almost fractal patterns it seems, or just offset images - split and forced to wrap from the middle to the right, and back onto the left side towards the middle in some sort of graphics loop - so these problems need fixing to encourage me to consider buying OS4.1.

I'd really like to be able to plug in a standard USB PCI card in my Mediator and get the benefit of being able to use USB 'out-of-the-box' with Amiga Classic OS4.1 Update 3 - I see there's new work been done on the USB stack - but no mention of it being useable with a Mediator, so I take it there is none!

However, if there is an intention to support USB via the Mediator PCI slots, then I'd like to know about it, if that is possible. I cannot plug in a Deneb as I have no PPC<->Zorro slot available in my A1200 Mediator, just PCI, and the thought of paying another £80+ for a Subway, which will cause me to remove my other clockport accessories I already have fitted does not encourage me to do so. I know I've said this before but it still holds true, and maybe others also consider the same thoughts as I do about USB for A1200s fitted with a PPC board and a Mediator, so I'm just airing my thoughts and hopes here.

I see there is still no working Blizzard SCSI driver, and no support for SCSI via the PCI slot, etc, but is this imminent?

I need some more encouragement, to consider buying OS4.1.x for my Classic PPC system
Last edited by Neil_P on Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
SAM 440ep-flex 733MHz 1GB RAM, Radeon 9250 PCI, OS4.1FE Upd 1, Amiga A1200 Blizzard SCSi PPC G3 240Mhz/060-50Mhz, 256MB + 200MB -> Radeon 9200 256MB in Mediator TX, + Voodoo 3 3000 16MB, Sound Blaster Live + TT-SOLO-1 soundcards, Spider USB, Ethernet RTL8139 + RTL8029AS, Adaptec 2940UW SCSI.
K-L

Post by K-L »

Well, for my first post here, I can only answer you that this forum was created in order to gather complaints and flaws about AmigaOS 4.x.

I don't think you'll see many dancing bananas here, not even optimistics (or negative) comments. The only goal of this forum is to help the AmigaOS 4.x team to find bugs and then correct them. This forum can also be of some help in some way when someone reports that something is not working while the problem doesn't come from the system but from a bad configuration.

I'd say that you should buy AmigaOS 4.1 Classic and tell the AmigaOS 4.x development team what is not working and what is missing (if you encounter any trouble of course) instead of asking for someone to cheer you up and convince you to buy the product. It would be more constructive I think ;-)
--
AmigaONE X1000 / Radeon 2400 Pro (R610LE) / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Samm440ep/733Mhs (o/c) / Radeon M9 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Neil_P

Post by Neil_P »

K-L wrote:I'd say that you should buy AmigaOS 4.1 Classic and tell the AmigaOS 4.x development team what is not working and what is missing (if you encounter any trouble of course)

OK, so what hardware are you running Classic OS4.1 on?

Have you encountered any problems at all with Classic OS4.1 or has it all installed and run smoothly from installation to this date?

If I could get some idea of what mileage other people using Classic Amiga OS4.1 are having that would be helpful, but as you can see from my signature I have an A1200 PPC Mediator system, so if you have an A4000 setup it will be different from how my system would run under Classic OS4.1, as you may well be aware.

I have to ask you why would I want to buy an OS that has known problems?

If I want to buy a TV I don't go out and buy it because it's a "work-in-progress" I want one that actually works - period!

I didn't buy WB 2.04 or 2.05 as a work in progress, and I didn't buy WB 3.x on that basis, whether that be WB 3.0, or 3.1, or 3.5, or 3.9, and in any case, they actually did what they were supposed to do from the start.

Just installing it seems to have so many mishaps, from the remarks I have read, and just saying go out and buy it and see how it goes, just doesn't 'cut it'. Spending approx £100 is a lot for an OS and for it not to work properly is its own failing, and a failure of the people working on it.
K-L wrote:instead of asking for someone to cheer you up and convince you to buy the product. It would be more constructive I think ;-)
I think asking for some comment here that might cheer me up is the only way to find out how it works for others on a similar system, who have decided to take the plunge into the 'icy water' that currently is Classic Amiga OS4.1+

Frankly, if there was more support for Classic systems that owners, me included, have already invested over the years in hardware that can still be utilised under Classic PPC Amiga OS4.1+ that would be a good thing, BUT to currently deny the use of such hardware, by a limiting factor imposed by the software of the PPC operating system is always going to be a disappointment, and a reason NOT to buy it, but if there was newer hardware that was supported to replace the existing benefits of hardware that already works under WB 3.5 and WB3.9 then I would be jumping up and down with joy.

Sadly that is not the case, as it has not been realised and even after the long wait for a driver for the Blizzard SCSI hardware Update 3 offers no sign of this materialising or even being imminent, so how excited should I be about Update 3?

Disappointed I am, and disappointed I remain, but I am still hopeful someone in the development of OS4.1 will decide that the CLASSIC OS4.1 is a SPECIAL case and some of the restrictions limiting it allowing some PCI hardware being used should be modified/removed/supported so this PCI hardware can be implemented so as to gain more users, as this is the main reason I am being put off considering it, and if that idea is not overcome, by some means or other, I don't see any way I will continue to support Amiga OS - very sadly.

I'm still waiting for some improvement, but I am definitely at present, standing at the exit considering leaving, but ever hopeful normal service will resume shortly.
SAM 440ep-flex 733MHz 1GB RAM, Radeon 9250 PCI, OS4.1FE Upd 1, Amiga A1200 Blizzard SCSi PPC G3 240Mhz/060-50Mhz, 256MB + 200MB -> Radeon 9200 256MB in Mediator TX, + Voodoo 3 3000 16MB, Sound Blaster Live + TT-SOLO-1 soundcards, Spider USB, Ethernet RTL8139 + RTL8029AS, Adaptec 2940UW SCSI.
vox

Post by vox »

This link is "dead". Could it be revitalized?
------------------------------------------
Future MOS user pon SAM460ex
https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja
https://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja
http://socdevelopment.wordpress.com/
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

The link doesn't work anymore, or it doesn't work in the new OWB.
davebraco
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by davebraco »

µA1 256mo SATA -> lend to a dev
A1200PPC 256Mo MediatorTX Radeon9250 SATA RTL8029 SOLO-1
Sam440ep 533mhz 512mo 64Go SSD
Sam460ex 1150mhz 2Go RadeonHD 6570LP ENVY24HT
AmigaOne X1000 4Go SSD R9 270X Catweasel MK4
AmigaOne X5000 -> work in progress
alekc

Post by alekc »

As pointed out in another thread already the latest version of the list is now available at: http://www.amigaos.net/hardware/40/clas ... ped-models
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Throw in there another instance of an ESS 1 Solo card (chipset 1938s) as working; made under Yamaha's name as DCS S819.